flag

Friday, June 11, 2010

Rag Quilt

I love making rag quilts! They are sooo easy and make a quick baby gift.

To make the quilt pictured here. I used 1 1/2 yards of a printed flannel and 1 1/2 yards of a solid. For the back of the quilt I used old blue jeans(2 pair). I do get more fabric than what the pattern calls for because I usually make matching pillow and several burp rags, bibs. I cut my fabric in either 3", 4" or 5" squares. I think I used 4" on this quilt(remember the bigger the square the more fabric you need). Cut 18 out of your print, solid and blue jeans. After you have all your squares cut then your ready to sew. take one print and one blue jean square. put the print side up on top and the back of the blue jean to the back of the print. Repeat with the sold fabric. Your next step is to make your blocks like the picture. Remember seams on top. You want it to Frey when you wash and dry it. Once you have the quilt made all you have to do is wash and dry it. I wash and dry mine with towels it help Frey it better. I also because it is for a child put binding around the edge for safety.

here is the quilt after being sewn, washed and dried. I now need to trim the long threads and put binding around the edges. Will post the finished picture soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment